Location: Ambler, PA
Gyroscope Therapeutics is a clinical-stage retinal gene therapy company, developing cutting edge medicines to treat eye diseases linked to a part of the immune system called the complement system. The company was founded to capitalize on a convergence of advancements made in the understanding of the complement system’s impact on eye disease, the genetic basis of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and gene therapy as a mode of treatment delivery.
Recently, Gyroscope Therapeutics merged with Orbit Biomedical to create the first fully integrated retinal gene therapy company with a promising investigational medicine, high quality manufacturing and a surgical platform that can support accurate, safe and consistent delivery to patients with blinding conditions.
Gyroscope’s lead investigational medicine, GT005 is being studied in the Phase I/II FOCUS trial in advanced dry AMD. GT005 is a novel retinal gene therapy that delivers a targeted, single dose treatment for the progressive visual impairment caused by dry AMD in patients by locally modulating complement activity. Gyroscope is building a pipeline of medicines for blinding eye diseases linked to the complement system.
Orbit Biomedical Inc., is a medical device company and subsidiary of Gyroscope, operating at the intersection of gene and cell therapy, engineering technology and surgeon education. Our goal is to revolutionize gene and cell therapy treatment by setting a new standard for precise, targeted surgical delivery. Orbit Biomedical’s technology, the result of many years’ work, is designed to safely and consistently deliver gene and cell therapy medicines, initially for the treatment of retinal disease. Orbit plans to use its proprietary delivery system to support accurate, safe and consistent delivery of Gyroscope gene therapy technologies and to partner with external companies who are developing single-use cell and gene therapies.
We are at the beginning of an incredible journey and are looking for a passionate R&D professional to join our team.
Scope of role
The Orbit Team is recruiting for a top executive responsible for overseeing the overall product development/ engineering functions on a global basis for medical device engineering and product development. Responsibilities include overseeing the creation, development and design of all the company’s engineered products, engineering services, and device research function.
What you will be doing:
- Inspire a team to advance the product pipeline and bring new products to market
- Oversee the selection of research projects to insure they have the potential to add value
- Design and execute a comprehensive R&D plan for the development of the company’s proprietary technologies
- Collaborates with other functions in the company to ensure that products meet the required legal, regulatory and medical/health requirements
- Identify new collaborative technology opportunities with leading industry partners
- Provide technological leadership in defining the company’s corporate strategies and plans
- Develop and execute the R&D team’s goals and objectives to achieve the plans and timelines
- Manage the R&D budget and capital expenditures
- Lead the R&D team and develop the company’s R&D talent
- Foster a highly dynamic and interactive working environment
- Grow the R&D organization by recruiting critical engineering talent and managing expansion of technical resources
- Monitor competing and complementary technologies and companies for potential licensing or M&A activities
- Lead various stages of product development as well as cross-functional activities
- Bring past experience and knowledge to proactively identify potential pitfalls and challenges to all projects and products
- Create new products and processes based on prior experience
- Help to manage and enhance the company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Work with external vendors and develop solid collaborations and partnerships that grow the organization
- Professionally represent and present company technology and products to healthcare professionals, government agencies, academic and industry partners and investor groups at congresses and meetings
What we want to see in your professional career:
- Advanced Degree in Mechanical, Biomedical or Electrical Engineering and/or equivalent relevant experience
- Demonstrable experience in medical device R&D within a hands-on management role
- Thorough understanding of all stages of medical surgical device product development and market introduction
- Strong ability to apply knowledge and provide imaginative solutions to difficult problems
- Fundamental understanding of gene therapy, cell therapy and drug development
- Knowledge of FDA, GMP, and combination product requirements
- Experience with ophthalmic device design and manufacturing a plus
- Proficiency with 3D solid modeling software, MS Office, and analytical/statistical software
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience of working within a diverse team in Europe and USA
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Can travel internationally for up to two-week periods
If you would like to discuss this position, please forward your resume to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .Apply +