We are currently seeking a highly motivated Scientific Director. Gyroscope’s mission is to develop genetically-defined therapies for the treatment of eye diseases linked to an unbalanced complement system. The company has built up a highly experienced and cross-disciplinary team and is developing cutting edge therapies for eye diseases with medical unmet need.
The successful candidate will join Gyroscope’s highly active research team which is responsible for the designing and conducting/overseeing the in vitro and in vivo proof-of-concept studies (PoC) for gene therapy candidates in pre-clinical development. He or she will draw on at least 10 years scientific experience to progress all aspects of the research projects from early phase to subsequent transition to clinical development, as well as supporting assay development.
The position will report directly to the VP Research and be based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK.
Candidate must possess the following skills:
- Have a strong scientific background with a proven knowledge of product development in a relevant industry. This includes at least 4-5 years hands-on experience in a research lab;
- Have experience in the effective management and leadership of scientific projects, teams and CRO third parties;
- Demonstrable ability to prepare material for presentation, patent filing and manuscript publication.
The following skills are optional but highly desirable:
- Has direct research experience in one or more of the following specialities: therapeutic development, gene therapy vector platforms, drug delivery, immunology (especially complement system);
- Experience in clinical assay development and/or genetic association studies;
Activities and responsibilities
The candidate will support the VP Research in delivering the Research goals at Gyroscope by assuming or demonstrating the following:
- Under the responsibility of the VP Research, design and implement non-clinical studies to generate non-clinical proof-of-concept data and/or non-clinical safety evaluation;
- Management of research team to identify, develop and characterise therapeutic gene therapy candidates in vitro and in vivo in relevant animal models;
- Oversee the development of new assays and analytical techniques to answer research and/or clinical questions or improve current techniques;
- Ensure all required documentation and reports are completed and approved in a timely manner, ensuring validity and reliability of data at all times;
- Effective cross-functional interaction with other departments in Gyroscope;
- Ability to prioritise research activities and deliver projects on time.
- Ability to seek and leverage external expert opinions.
We understand that the perfect candidate does not necessarily combine all required/optional skills and encourage all interested candidates that fulfil at least some of the requirements to apply.
The application should include a one page cover letter outlining how you meet the required competencies for this role at Gyroscope Therapeutics as outlined in the job requirements above. This letter should be accompanied by a current C.V. Interested applicants should submit their applications to email@example.com.