Open position for Research Assistant in an innovative gene therapy company
R&D group in a start-up gene therapy biotech company is currently seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant.
The successful candidate will join Gyroscope’s highly active research team which is responsible for the delivery of novel adeno-associated virus (AAV) construct designs and early in vitro and in vivo proof-of-concept studies (PoC) for candidates in pre-clinical development. He or she will support all aspects of the projects from early phases and the subsequent transition to clinical development, as well as supporting subsequent small-scale vector manufacture and testing. The role will involve supporting the initiation and subsequent development of innovative improvements in the design, characterisation and manufacture of gene therapy medicines.
Gyroscope’s mission is to develop genetically-defined therapies for the treatment of eye diseases linked to an unbalanced complement system. The company has built up a highly experienced and cross-disciplinary team and is developing cutting edge therapies for eye diseases with unmet medical need.
The position will be based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK.
- Experience in cloning, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis;
- Experience in performing assays such as western blotting and ELISA;
- Experience in cell and tissue culture, working under aseptic conditions;
- Preparation and maintenance of accurate laboratory records.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in assay development (particularly sandwich ELISA, cell-based assays, functional ELISA-based assays);
- Experience in gene therapy development or methods for the design and generation of biopharmaceutical viral vectors;
- Background in ophthalmology, immunology and/or complement research;
- Experience in industry.
Activities and responsibilities
- Conducting research experiments to support early candidate evaluation and subsequent selection;
- Development of new viral vectors to answer research questions or improve current techniques;
- Ensuring all required documentation and experimental records are completed and approved in a timely manner, ensuring validity and reliability of data at all times;
- Effective cross-functional interaction with other departments in Gyroscope;
- Ability to prioritise and deliver projects on time.
We understand that the perfect candidate does not necessarily combine all required/desirable skills and encourage all interested candidates that fulfil at least some of the requirements (including recent graduates) to apply.
The application should include a one-page cover letter outlining how you meet the required competencies for this role at Gyroscope Therapeutics as outlined in the job requirements above. This letter should be accompanied by a current curriculum vitae. Interested applicants should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Succesful applicants will need to provide full documentation to show they have the right to work in the UK